Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What's for dinner?

In the midst of all this crazy house stuff, dinner has been falling short most nights.  It's so much easier to go to the drive through, then throw away the mess.  But my wallet is getting lighter and lighter, and I just don't like that it's so very unhealthy.  Today I made it a point to take out something to thaw, and gave a new recipe a try!  I was inspired by a a recipe called Hot and Cheesy Chicken Casserole, and I found the link here.  (I would love to have her organizational skills!)  I reworked the recipe to fit my schedule and the kid's preferences.  The kids loved it, and said they would eat it again.  That's a win in my book.

Here's what I came up with:

Cheesy Hot Chicken & Rice

Ingredients 
  • 3 baked chicken breasts, chopped
  • 1/2 of 14-oz. pkg. frozen broccoli florets, chopped small
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
  • 1 10.75-oz. can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 10.75-oz. can condensed fiesta nacho cheese soup
  • 1 10- to 10.5-oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup chicken broth
Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chicken in baking dish of choice, and cook til done.  
  • Let chicken rest and cool while prepping the rest of the ingredients.  
  • In a crock pot, mix both cans of soup, the can of tomatoes and chilies, the water, and the broth.  
  • Add the instant rice and stir well.  
  • Chop broccoli to size desired (my kids don't eat stems!) and stir in.  
  • Chop chicken and stir in.  Cook on high for 3 hours.


You could definitely add more veggies to this version, depending on your preferences.  The instant rice cooks up pretty quick, and since the meat was already cooked, time in the crock pot will depend on how tender you want your broccoli to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment