Friday, October 7, 2011

Thinking about my bedroom...

In my previous life, I spent almost 12 years as a military spouse.  That means I moved a lot.  Many people dread the moves, but I always looked forward to them as a way to start over.  It was an adventure.  You got to see new places, meet new people, and redecorate all over again.  This move is not very different.  A way to start over, and most definitely an adventure.  I'm not going far, but I want this to be an opportunity to actually have people over; to open my home to my friends.  I also want to decorate and make this little piece of property *mine*.

This can be pretty difficult when you have little to no budget, but there are ways around spending too much.  Almost all of the furnishings going into this house are already things I own.  Some things I have no choice but to replace.  Four kids and a dog can be rough on furnishings.  Some things I just want to splurge on.  Some things I will acquire by going "shopping" at Memaw's.  My grandmother has lots of good stuff and she likes to share.  I've also been really intrigued by the idea of reusing and repurposing.  Besides Memaw's, a really good place to get things to repurpose, reuse, and refinish is at local thrift stores.

Today, I spent a bit of time thinking about how I want MY bedroom to look.  This is what I've come up with:




In the real world, the spendiest pieces here would be the oriental rug and the dresser.  Good news is I have a rug and dresser really similar to these already.  In fact, the rug was my inspiration piece for the colors of the room.  My rug is more of a peacock blue color than the one shown.  The dresser is at Memaw's house sitting neglected on the carport waiting for a coat of glossy black paint.  I picked up two zebra throw pillows at Big Lot's for $9.99 each.  The other pillows aren't necessary, but I can make them if I want them.  I will have to buy new bedding, but I am thinking of making a duvet type cover for the bedspread I already have, and that will cut down on cost tremendously.  I can also make the curtains, and actually picked up what I think will be enough fabric today for $22.  All I need is some liner fabric to block light.  So that leaves me with finding an awesome mirror and (if I have any room left at all) a papasan chair.  I've dreamed for a really long time of having one of those as my reading spot!!

So what do you think??


1 comment:

  1. I like the colors and style you have here. I know it can get tedious, but when it's all done you will be so proud! Congrats again Lisa, best wishes!

    ReplyDelete